Thursday, November 11, 2010

Benefits of using a coach when preparing for a show

     I believe when entering a physique competition the use of a coach is becoming crucial.
   
     When I decided to compete in the summer of 2009 after a 7 year lay off I decided I wanted someone to help me with my pre contest diet.

     I had competed on my own and not used a coach for years, but when I think back to when I first started in bodybuilding I had one. As a 17 year old kid my father hired a personal trainer for my brother and I to prepare us for our first competition. He wrote our diets and trained us 1 on 1. That was tremendously beneficial and I believed helped set us ahead of other teens.

   I have personally been preparing clients for contest preparation for 15 years. So when some of my clients learned that I would also be hiring someone they were surprised.
 many  told me “Joe your crazy hiring someone” and “you have done all of our plans for years, why don't you just do your own"

     I  was in search of a second set of eyes. I then sought the opinion of a client that knew absolutely nothing about the bodybuilding world. My client is a retired successful business man and his words I believe made me make my decision clear. He said “Joe a good lawyer does not represent themselves” & “a doctor does not treat themselves as a patient” That day I hired Dave Palumbo as my coach for the show.

     When hiring a coach or trainer you must examine if they have prepared both men and woman and has it been for your chosen type of competition. Some coaches only prepare male bodybuilders, so when trying to prepare a female figure or bikini competitor they may not be as helpful as someone with more experience.

    When you decide on a coach listen to them word for word. Ask questions when you do not understand why certain things change or are added to your plan. Too many chef's spoil the soup. Put your faith in that person and do not mutate the plan and change it on your own.
     Your trainer or coach can not watch you 24/7 and monitor I implore physique athletes to examine their goals and remember a coach is starting to become a necessity to athletes that would like to reach their maximum potential. or every aspect of your life. The hard work is what you put in to it.  but the pre contest coach will guide, support and encourage you along the way. I implore physique athletes to examine their goals and remember a coach is starting to become a necessity to athletes that would like to reach their maximum potential.

2 comments:

  1. i agree 100%....
    i cant even imagine trying to prepare for a contest on my own. an experienced trainer/figure coach is key to sucess.
    and once youve chosen a trainer.. follow only their advice. so many others will offer tips and advice, you can receive a lot of bad advice, so stick with you trainer.
    great advice joe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% on point Joe!!!! What an awesome blog!!!!! I cant imagine what I would do without my trainer. There is SO much info out there and so many variations of what and how to do things. I agree, stick to your trainers plan & then take responsibility for your success by doing what your trainer tells you to do. Its a team effort. A trainer a tell you what to do..but its up to you to follow through and do it!! I would never prep for competition without the advise and expertise of my trainer. Awesome article Joe.. keep 'em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete